Preparation for Lactulose Breath Test for IBS
Arrival time is 8:30 a.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.
If you arrive 15 minutes or later to your appointment you will need to reschedule your appointment.
If the following instructions are not followed we may not be able to perform the test.
- For one week stay off antibiotics and probiotic capsules.
- On the day prior to the test, you can have eggs, oatmeal, meat, fresh veggies, white rice, dairy products, and fresh fruit. You can have regular sugar, Sweet and Low, Equal and Stevia. See other page for diet.
- Do not have high fiber cereal, whole wheat bread, bean, nuts, soy products, prepared food/drinks with fructose corn syrup, Splenda, and Sorbitol or other artificial alcohol sugars used in chewing gum or candy.
- Do not have a heavy, rich dinner. Do not smoke after midnight on the day of the test or until the test is over.
- No food after 7pm and you have water till midnight, nothing to eat or drink after midnight.
- In the morning, do not have breakfast. Please brush your teeth and take your normal medications.
Additional instructions and information
- Please bring your pharmacy number and current insurance information on the day of your test.
- Allow 2-3 hours for the test to be performed.
- Test description: A baseline breath sample is obtained. After this baseline sample, 10 grams of lactulose will be administered in 8 ounces of room temperature water. The sugar is not a problem for diabetics since it is not absorbed by the intestine. A breath sample will be collected every 15 minutes.
- We have internet access as well as WI-FI and television in the breath test room.
- Results will be mailed to you within a week.
- We appreciate 48 hours advance notification of any reschedules or cancellations regarding your scheduled appointment. If less than 48 hours is given then there will a charge for the missed appointment.
For questions call (314) 997-0554. For more information see www.GIDoctor.net